10-2-2013 7AM – Welcome to Fall, seems like it was Summer one day and then boom it’s Fall with temperatures in the 50s and 60s in the Mammoth Mountain area.
36 days and counting for Mammoth Mountain Ski areas planned opener. Opening day is set for November 7th, 2013.
For some that day cannot come soon enough. If your in town enjoy these slow times and get out and hike, bike and fish. O and don’t forget the Fall colors that will be peaking out the next 14 days. (If your not in town come on up for some Fall fun.)
Mammoth Mountain Snow Report:
We picked up a couple shots of some snow last week, 2-3 inches and then a dusting several days later. At this point most of its melted off, but still some snow at the top of Mammoth Mountain and up on Bloody Mountain as well.
The ground is moist in a few spots, but on my ride yesterday most trails were back to having a dry surface. Again temperatures have cooled down to the 50s above 8500 feet, add in a SW wind and you need an extra layer. Summer days are long gone at this point.
If your into riding mountain bikes via cross country style, now is the time to get out on Mammoth Mountain. Watch for crews that are not expecting you out there, but perfect riding with no downhillers at this time. No lift access means free trail riding, get after it!
Ski area crews have been working hard to get the mountain ready for the upcoming ski season. We should be seeing snowmaking stuff coming out in a couple weeks with snowmaking planned anytime after October 21st in a normal year.
Snowfall Outlook Discussion is posted below.
The Image below was taken from The Paper Route Mountain Bike Trail. Here are the images we got last week – 9-22-2013 photo gallery.
Fall – Winter Outlook 2013 – 2014
El Nino or Neutral is what we are looking at for the upcoming winter. Weather models just cannot make up there minds. As of October 1st here is our outlook as we see it. Overall for the Winter in Mammoth the odds are 25% drought, 50% average and a 25% chance of a massive winter with 500+ inches.
Lets take a look see what is in the forecasted cards as of today October 2nd, 2013.
October looks to be high and dry, we have been saying the only real hope to get a base storm in here would be from a massive Typhoon out in the western Pacific.
Some of these typhoons can get caught up in a track that favors Mammoth Mountain and we can go from no base to 5 feet in a day. There is a very real possibility that some type of an event like this could happen in October this year.
For now the forecast calls for October 2013 shows up and down temperatures, winds and bone dry all month long. Again I have seen a forecast like that change in 24 hours to a season opening base storm. From here on out Snowman will be watching the maps daily and will give you heads up if anything is in sight.
November is starting to look like we could have some good snows move into the Mammoth Mountain Area. Below is the newest outlook chart and it shows green now instead of the brown drought it had before. Of course these are just outlooks, but we like when it’s a positive for snow and not dryness.
Here are the outlooks for December through February. Last month we where looking at a very dry January, now they have flipped to very wet. If that 60 period pans out (Jan – Feb) we would be buried big time with days and days of powder skiing and snowboarding.
Where to find us
Snowman’s Private Facebook Group
It's Winter Everyday at MammothSnowman.com - See You on the hill, Ski ya later Snowman out!