8-17-2020 6 AM Good morning and thanks for stopping by MammothSnowman.com.
On Sunday the Eastern Sierra experienced numerous thunderstorms, the result was a large fire start over at Mono Lake. This has created areas of smoke from the Owens Valley to June Lake. I will have more updates as the day gets rolling.
Currently, at the top of Mammoth Mountain it’s 57 with ENE winds to 9 gusting to 17 MPH, down in the town of Mammoth Lakes it was a balmy 63 this morning and in Bishop, it’s already 71.
Expect a 40% chance of T Storms again today, 30% on Tuesday, and 20% chance of Wednesday. Storms that due form will have heavy rain and hail possible with very strong and gusty winds.
Highs this week will continue to be into the low 80s in Mammoth Lakes with 70’s up in the Lakes Basin and up at the Mammoth Mountain Main Lodge. Down in Crowley Lake expect the upper 80s to low 90’s with mid 100s for Bishop.
Nighttime lows are not dropping fast with this current weather pattern, bring a fan if you’re coming to stay in Mammoth Lakes in a condo or hotel, it’s going to be warm and there is no AC.
Road Conditions: If you’re traveling up to the Eastern Sierra there is an excessive heat warning for the Owens Valley. Highs will be 107-110 today with just a couple of degrees of cooling over the next few days.
Be prepared with food, water, and shade if you have a breakdown, heat like this can kill fast be prepared.
All roads are open at this time, however, there are travel restrictions being enforced if you want to travel through Yosemite. The road to Red Meadow is open as parking in the valley allows, I would not advise waiting it out as I have heard of people waiting 4-5 hours.
For my complete Weather update on Mammoth and Bishop‘s current conditions and the weather forecast use this link.